Apple Design Awards 2020: These Were the Winners
Last month it took place Apple’s annual Worldwide Developers Conference. However, this year’s conference was virtual, so there were some missing things like the winners of the Apple Design Awards. They were announced a couple of days after, highlighting that they brought “distinctive new ideas to life.” Check out more about the awards, and of course, this year’s winners, keep reading!
What are the Apple Design Awards?
The awards are also known as ADAs; they are special events that take place every year at the Worldwide Developers Conference. Here independent developers show the most innovative Macintosh and iOS software and hardware, but they also present more creative ways to use Apple’s products. The winners are awarded in different categories that vary from year to year.
The Apple Design Awards existed since 1990, but the first two years, they were known as Human Interface Design Excellence Awards (HIDE). The physical trophy was designed with an Apple logo that glows when you touch it. It is an aluminum cube, each side is 3.9 inches long, and it weighs 55.5 ounces. The cube was engineered and built by Sparkfactor Design.
The winners of this year Apple Design Awards will receive, besides the physical trophy, the following devices:
- 27″ iMac Pro
- 16″ MacBook Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPad Pro 12.9
- Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro
- Apple Pencil 2nd generation
- An Apple TV 4K
- Apple Watch Series 5,44mm.
- AirPods Pro.
Winners of the Apple Design Awards 2020
Get to know the winners of this year’s Apple Design Awards.
- Darkroom: This is a photo and video editor brought by Bergen Co. according to the description, it is easy enough to use for casual and pros users. It presents a leveraged in Apple technologies such as photos and camera APIs, home screen quick actions, and contextual menus.
- Looom: is an animation app developed by iorama.studio. It supports Apple tech like Apple Pencil and Dark Mode. This app is playful and creative interface, with novel custom controls.
- Shapr3D: this app is a CAD editor developed by Shapr3D Zartkoruen Mukodo Reszvenytarsasag, it works on iPad, and with the use of Apple Pencil, perfect for designers to create 3D models. This creative app uses ARKit and drag and drop, which adds soon support for the LiDAR Scanner to generate 2D floor plans from 3D photos.
- StaffPad: This app uses Apple Pencil, drag and drop and Core ML to turn handwritten musical notes into digital music sheets. StaffPad Ltd developed it.
- Sayonara Wild Hearts: this game was also recognized as one of the best games from 2019. It was developed by Simogo and published by Annapurna Interactive. The Apple Design Awards is because of the vibrant landscapes, the visuals, and the motions that the game presents. Among the Apple technology that the game uses, we can find Metal, Game Center, spatial audio, and game controllers.
- Sky: Children of the light: this game comes from thatgamecompany, it was also featured in the list of the 2019 best games. Winning the awards is thanks to its multiplayer and social quest game special features, using Apple technologies such as the custom Metal engine, haptics, Game Center, and spatial audio.
- Song of Bloom: it’s an exciting game based on puzzles. It comes from indie developer Philipp Stollenmayer, where you can see stories told in rapidly changing art styles with a nonlinear puzzler. It was a winner because of the handcrafted gameplay and its design.
- Where Cards Fall: in this adventure game, the players must build houses of cards to bring memories to life. It was developed by The Game Band and published by Snowman; it uses Metal, haptics, Game Center, iCloud with other technologies.
The Apple Design Awards try every year to honor the best within developers and designers, as Ron Okamoto said: “Receiving an Apple Design Award is a special and laudable accomplishment… Through their vision, determination, and exacting standards, the winning developers inspire not only their peers in the Apple developer community but also all of us at Apple.” These Awards are an excellent way to impulse the talent of newbies in the world of the development of new technologies.
Check out more interesting articles about the technology world with the Magazine. Don’t forget to follow us on our social media!
Facebook: 786 Marketing